My phone rang and it was daycare. My oldest had been inadvertently peed on. Really? His hair and shirt took the hit. He was okay, but reasonably upset. He'd been cleaned up, changed clothes and hair washed at school. The other child sent home. Glad I didn't get that call!
I struggled with what to do. My immediate reaction was to run over, it's just next door to my office, scoop him up and his sibs and take them all home. But what lesson would I teach, run away when your scared, frustrated, upset? No, I didn't want that message. And I didn't want to embarrass him either. What to do, what to do.
Ultimately what I wanted was to make sure he was okay and for me to be okay. So his dad and I agreed I should take him to lunch and get him a new shirt so he didn't have to wear the school shirt all day and be reminded of what happened in the morning. I wanted him to know that we've always got his back, he will always have us and it's okay to have a hard day, reset and start over.
As you could imagine, he was fine and ecstatic to go to lunch! Off to Target for a new batman shirt and mac n cheese. Such a sweet boy. He wanted to get something for his siblings and I told him it was his special day and I was doing something just for him. He wouldn't have it. "Nope, we take care of the family," he told me in all seriousness and with command.
Yes, sweet boy, we do always take care of the family.
0 comments:
Post a Comment